There are so many different ways you can prepare and enjoy carrots and beets. But one of my favorite ways to enjoy these root veggies is shredded and in a fresh salad.
Growing up this carrot and beet salad often made its way onto my little plate. Truth be told, looking back I wonder if my maman made this because of how simple it was to put together! Busy raising five kids, easy and fast recipes were a must in our household.
Ready in less than 10 minutes this delicious salad is packed with flavor, crunch, and, of course loaded with nutrients.
What are the health benefits of beetroot?
Beets are a great source of folate, magnesium, potassium, vitamins c, betalains, dietary nitrates, and fiber.
In fact, 1 cup of raw beets provide 148 mcg of folate, 37% of your daily value. Folate, also known as vitamin B9, helps to make DNA and RNA, which help cells divide, as well as produce healthy red blood cells. It’s especially essential in expecting mothers as this vitamin helps to support the development of a healthy neural tube and healthy brain development.
It is even believed that beets may help lower blood pressure, support brain health, reduce PMS symptoms, fight inflammation, improve digestion, and improve athletic performance. This is in part due to its high levels of dietary nitrates, betalains, and fiber.
What are Betalains?
Beets are probably best known for their dark red hues, a pigment attributed to the biological compounds known as betalains. These betalains, which can be categorized as betacyanin pigments (red-violet color) or betaxanthin pigments (yellow-orange color), have been found to contain high antioxidants and anti-inflammatory capabilities. One study even found that red beet peel was noted for the highest betalain concentration.
And don’t forget the beet greens!
Beet greens are packed with fiber, minerals and vitamins, such as Vitamin C, B, magnesium and potassium. They’re a great substitute for spinach, Swiss chard, kale, etc. I often use them in soups, salads, and smoothies. Delicious!Print
Shredded Carrot & Beet Salad
If you’re looking for a delicious and simple way to incorporate more root vegetables into your diet, this shredded carrot and beet salad is sure to become your go-to. Ready in less than 10 minutes and packed with nutrients and flavor!
- Prep Time: 10
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- 3 raw beets, peeled (note: 2 beets yield about 1 cup shredded)
- 2 raw carrots, peeled
- 1/2 shallot, minced
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 3 TBSP red wine vinegar
- salt/pepper, to taste
- Roughly chop beets and carrots into cubes.
- Add cubed beets and carrots to the food processor fitted with shredding disk and pulse until beets are finely shredded. Note: You can also spiralize or grate veggies by hand if you don’t have a food processor. But, take it from me, it’s a lot easier to shred these in a food processor.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, vinegar, minced shallots, and salt/pepper. Whisk to combine. Adjust seasoning as desired.
- Place shredded beets and carrots in a medium sized bowl. Add dressing and toss till veggies are thoroughly coated. Top with parsley and serve!
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- How becoming a mother taught me to embrace slow living - June 5, 2023
- Cycle Syncing Foods: How to support each phase of your menstrual cycle through nutrition - May 30, 2023
- How To Plan An Eco-Friendly Wedding - May 23, 2023
+ show Comments
- Hide Comments