If une salade Niçoise is not in your weekly recipe repertoire, you’re missing out on a golden opportunity!
This salad Niçoise with tuna is packed with flavor, nutrients, and so very simple to assemble!
While I like to include the traditional ingredients – tomato, anchovies, and olive oil – what I love about this salad is its versatility. Sometimes I add red bell peppers, sometimes I don’t. Sometimes I’ll add boiled potatoes, sometimes I don’t. It’s really a matter of preference and, to be honest, dependent on whatever ingredients I have on hand. But generally speaking, the ingredients listed below tend to be my favorite combination for this deliciously nourishing salad.
Salad Niçoise with Tuna
- 4–5 small red potatoes, boiled
- 4 eggs, hard boiled
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 3 ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 1/2 cups green beans, boiled
- 1 medium cucumber, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 (5 oz) can tuna
- 3–4 anchovy filets
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/2 bunch basil, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil Potatoes: Place potatoes in a medium sized pot and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and add a pinch of salt. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer over low heat for approximately 10-15 minutes, until potatoes are fork-tender. Drain, slice in half, and set aside to cool. Tip: Save your potato water to cook your green beans or eggs.
- Blanch Green Beans: In a medium sized pot bring water to a boil. Add green beans and cook for 3-5 minutes, until slightly tender. Once done, remove the green beans from the boiling water and immediately plunge them into an ice bath (water and ice). Leave them in the ice bath for roughly two minutes. Then drain and set aside.
- Boil Eggs: In a separate pot, add enough water to boil eggs – you want just enough water to cover eggs by at least one inch. Once boiling gently place eggs into the water and cook for approximately 10 minutes, depending on your doneness preference. Once cooked, remove eggs from boiling water and immediately place in an ice bath for about 2-3 minutes. Doing so helps to make it easier to peel the eggs. Next, remove eggs from the ice bath and peel. Set aside till ready to serve.
- Prep the veggies: Peel and cut cucumber into thin slices, about 1/4-1/8 inches thick. Cut tomato into wedges (make sure to remove the stem before slicing). Remove the stem, seeds, and ribs of pepper. Slice lengthwise into thin strips. Wash and dry salad. Tear leaves into small bite-sized pieces by hand.
- Assemble: Arrange the lettuce on a platter. Next, add the green beans, tomato wedges, cucumber slices, bell pepper strips, and potato halves over lettuce and top with a bit of vinaigrette. Slice your eggs in half and add to the platter. Top with tuna, black olives, fresh chopped herbs, and, if using, anchovy filets and capers. Drizzle the remaining dressing onto your salad and enjoy!
In a bowl add red wine vinegar, olive oil, dijon mustard, chopped shallot, and salt/pepper. Whisk to combine. Adjust seasoning as desired.
This salad is great as a main dish or can be served as a side.
- How becoming a mother taught me to embrace slow living - June 5, 2023
- Cycle Syncing Foods: How to support each phase of your menstrual cycle through nutrition - May 30, 2023
- How To Plan An Eco-Friendly Wedding - May 23, 2023
+ show Comments
- Hide Comments