Have you heard of the Gua Sha stone? This 2,000-year-old Chinese tradition has quickly become one of my favorite skincare rituals. I am obsessed with this easy-to-use facial tool for so many reasons.
Fun fact: Gua sha — pronounced gwahshah — comes from the Chinese word for scraping. Note: this massage technique can be used all over the body but for the purpose of this post I am solely referring to facial gua sha.
In fact, gently “scraping” the gua sha stone on your face is actually quite a meditative and soothing practice. It’s an easy and effective way to relax and pamper your skin from the comfort of your own home without using any harmful chemicals or needles. Plus, it’s endlessly reusable.
How it works
Gua sha, which has been coined the “botox of the east”, is known to help increase circulation and lymphatic flow, i.e., it stimulates microcirculation of the soft tissue, which helps to increase blood flow. It is said to decrease puffiness, clear congested pores, firm the skin and make it generally more radiant than it was pre-treatment. If you’re prone to acne, this might be a tool you’ll want to invest in, as some users have found it helpful to fight against breakouts.
How to use the gua sha stone
1. Use the gua sha stone after you’ve washed and moisturized your face.
2. Apply a few drops of facial oil to your face/neck. Doing so will help the tool glide more smoothly along your skin.
3. Warm your tool between your hands.
5. Lay your gua sha tool flat and lightly sweep it in upwards motion along your jawline. Make sure to use one hand to hold your tool and the other hand to hold your skin firmly.
6. Gently scrape your gua sha upwards and outwards, slowly moving from the chin to the nose and cheeks to the forehead.
7. End by lightly stroking the Gua Sha downwards along your neck.
More scientific research needs to be done on the benefits of this tool, but personally I have found that my skin looks firmer and smoother since I’ve started using it. And, most importantly, applying gentle pressure to my skin helps me to relax and unwind after a long day. Just using the gua sha stone in the evenings or morning is a grounding ritual in itself. I’ve been using and loving Pink Moon’s gua sha stone and facial oil set (Over the Moon Duo).
Have you used a gua sha stone before? If so, let me know in the comments!
Other Posts You Might Enjoy:
- 4 simple tips to help you create a more grounding skincare ritual
- Why I Love Using a Konjac Sponge + How To Use It
- Healthy Baked Apples Stuffed with Sweet Potatoes - September 14, 2023
- 5 Dark Leafy Greens To Add To Your Diet & Their Health Benefits - September 6, 2023
- My top 12 favorite natural and planet-friendly baby essentials - August 30, 2023