I have always had very sensitive skin. Most conventional exfoliators and scrubs that the beauty industry promises will make your skin glow, unfortunately irritate my skin leaving it raw and red. So, when I was first introduced to konjac sponges, I was, as you can imagine, more than a bit hesitant. But the more I read up on it the more I felt this might be a great alternative to some of the harsher exfoliators on the market. And, I am happy to report that for me, the konjac sponge has been a game changer for my skin. It was love at first cleanse!
If you haven’t added this gentle eco-friendly facial sponge to your skincare toolkit yet let me share a few reasons why you might consider taking the plunge.
What is a konjac sponge?
A konjac sponge is made from the konjac root, a porous root vegetable that’s native to Asia. These sponges help cleanse, gently exfoliate, unclog pores, and remove makeup. And they’re a super soft and gentle way to cleanse and exfoliate your skin without irritating it.
Not only is this facial sponge an effective cleansing tool but it’s a simple way to elevate your skincare ritual. You can read more about how to create a more grounding and calming skincare ritual here.
How to use a konjac facial sponge?
- Before first use, let your sponge soak in water for about 5 minutes. This will help to soften and expand your sponge to full size. Once it’s expanded, squeeze out any excess water and voila, you’re ready for action.
- To use, gently massage sponge over face in circular motions. You can either use a konjac sponge with your cleanser or just use it as is with lukewarm water. If you use your sponge with cleanser you’ll want to apply cleanser to your face as usual and then cleanse with the softened sponge. I like to use my facial sponge at the end of the day to help remove any impurities that may have accumulated.
- Once finished, squeeze out any excess water and hang it up to dry in a well ventilated location. Note: These sponges will harden/dry in between uses so just soak them in a bit of water before each use until they get spongy and soft again.
This is seriously such a gentle way to exfoliate and cleanse. Not to mention, these facial sponges are biodegradable!!! Just toss the sponge into your compost bin after 4-5 weeks of usage.
Looking to purchase a konjac sponge? Check out these eco-friendly & ethical brands!
- Everest’s Compostable Konjac Body Sponge ($12 per sponge)
- Me Mother Earth’s Konjac Facial Cleansing Sponge ($4.99 per sponge)
- Tiny Yellow Bungalow’s Konjac Facial Sponge ($8.99 per sponge)
- Clean Circle’s Konjac Facial Sponge ($10.00 per sponge)
- Wyld Skincare’s French Pink Clay Sponge (Dry, Sensitive, Skin) ($18.99 per sponge)