If you’ve ever ordered une tarte aux fraises (strawberry tart) or, as we say in my family, a strawberry tarte, you’ll notice they’re often filled with a buttery crème pâtissière (pastry cream).
Personally, I’ve never loved this custard-like filling – not sure why, just a personal preference. Which is such a shame as la crème pâtissière is found in a variety of traditional french pastries from éclairs to le paris-brest.
But, I love fruit tarts and figured, why not just create one without the creamy filling!? Meet my deliciously simple and healthy-ish Strawberry Tarte! 🙂
This strawberry tarte is so simple to make and a perfect way to enjoy fresh seasonal strawberries. Or any berries for that matter. You can make this tart using a combination of blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries or make it a single-berry tart using just strawberries. The world is your oyster!
A few tips as your prepare your crust
- I personally like to use a stand mixer to create the dough (it’s easier) but you can also use a simple wooden spoon and a bit of elbow grease or simply mix with your hands.
- You can make this dough ahead of time and freeze it for up to 3-6 months or refrigerate it for up to 24 hours. If freezing, I recommend working the dough into a flat disc. This will take less room in your freezer and thaw more quickly.
- Don’t overmix your dough! Once your ingredients have formed into a ball, stop. Why? The more you mix and overwork your dough, the less flaky your crust will be.
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Healthy Baked Apples Stuffed with Sweet Potatoes - September 14, 2023
- 5 Dark Leafy Greens To Add To Your Diet & Their Health Benefits - September 6, 2023
- My top 12 favorite natural and planet-friendly baby essentials - August 30, 2023