Sheets & Giggles, Founder
Sheets & Giggles, Founder Colin McIntosh, on his love of puns, sustainable textiles, and conscious consumerism
Meet Colin McIntosh, the founder of the sustainable (and ethical) eucalyptus sheets company based out of Denver Colorado, Sheets & Giggles. “Americans produce ten million tons of textile waste every single year…For better or for worse, we [Americans] are trained from a very early age to consume.
In this episode Colin and I chat about:
- How and why he was fired from his first job and how it changed the course of his career.
- The importance of conscious consumerism and developing a sustainable business.
- The challenges around sustainable manufacturing and why ethical/sustainable products are often more expensive than “commercial” products.
- The difference between bamboo viscose and eucalyptus lyocell fabrics.
- His passion for politics.
- The entrepreneurial challenges he’s overcome throughout the years. And so much more!
Q & A with Colin McIntosh, Founder of Sheets & Giggles
1. City of residence: Denver, CO
2. Place of birth: Fort Lauderdale, FL
3. In under five sentences, define your business: S&G makes the world’s softest, most sustainable sheets. Our sheets are made from lyocell, a material derived from Eucalyptus trees renewably grown on sustainably managed, biodiverse farms. In contrast to cotton (which uses 16-24% of the world’s insecticides), our eucalyptus uses no insecticides or pesticides, and we also use up to 96% less water than standard cotton sheets. We launched completely revenue-funded with a $284,000 crowdfunding campaign in May 2018, we won first place at Denver Startup Week in Sept. 2018, and we just raised a $1.3M seed round in August 2019 to accelerate our growth.
4. What social or environmental impact is your business making? Aside from the sustainability of our sheets vs cotton (water and pesticide usage problem), bamboo (wastewater problem), and polyester/microfiber (petroleum-based, non-biodegradable), we also plant a tree for every order. Further, we donate sheets to homeless shelters around the country (sheets are the #2-most-requested item at shelters behind socks). Beyond that, we’re also a Pledge 1% Company,
5. Out of all the products you produce, which is your favorite? Why? Sheets!
6. What book(s) are you currently reading? Ride of a Lifetime
7. Using one word, how would you describe yourself? Busy 🙂
- How becoming a mother taught me to embrace slow living - June 5, 2023
- Cycle Syncing Foods: How to support each phase of your menstrual cycle through nutrition - May 30, 2023
- How To Plan An Eco-Friendly Wedding - May 23, 2023
+ show Comments
- Hide Comments