Maimouna & Fatou Ndiaye Co-Founders
The Wax Project
Maimouna & Fatou Ndiaye, Co-Founders of The Wax Project: Crazy ideas are the best ideas!
“Fatou: Crazy ideas are the best ideas! The Wax project was one crazy idea, we had no idea where it would take us. You just need to believe in your ideas, you might be surprised where it takes you. Mai: Yeah, don’t underestimate the power of not knowing where you’re going!
Q & A with Maimouna & Fatou Ndiaye
1. City of residence:
Maimouna : Nantes
Fatou : Paris
2. Place of birth:
Fatou & Maimouna : Dhaka, Bangladesh
3. In under five sentences, define your business:
The Wax Project is a clothing line handmade in Senegal that uses African prints, “wax” as material. We wanted to add a social twist in order to give back to our country, therefore we chose to collaborate with Senegalese tailors to support local business. Moreover, for every product sold we donate a % to associations and schools in Senegal.
4. What social or environmental impact is your business making?
Education in Senegal: buying materials, books, sand for the playground, mats
We work only with local tailors in Senegal which enables us to create more business for locals all around.
5. What is the best part of the work you’re doing? Why?
Maimouna: What I love about our project is the fact that we get to give back in our own way. And I also love that we get to meet our customers through private sales. We are really happy to have a connection with the customers whenever we can.
Fatou: The best part is getting to create something from scratch and being able to help the school. Secondly, I love seeing our customers react to our products and love them.
6. Out of all the products you create, which is your favorite? Why?
Maimouna: That’s a tough question because I like them all.. but I really like the newest member of the family: the computer covers.
Fatou: All of them! But my favorite is one skirt with green leaves printed. I feel powerful when I wear it.
7. What book(s) are you currently reading?
Maimouna : La loi d’attraction- Sylvie Liger (Law of attraction)
Fatou : Le ventre de l’Atlantique, Fatou Diome
8. Quote you (try to) live by?
Maimouna: If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way. -Napoleon Hill
Fatou: “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” Oscar Wilde
9. Using one word, how would you describe yourself?
10. What is one random fact that most people don’t know about you?
Maimouna: I love to bake in my free time.
Fatou: I meditate 10 min every day.
- How becoming a mother taught me to embrace slow living - June 5, 2023
- Cycle Syncing Foods: How to support each phase of your menstrual cycle through nutrition - May 30, 2023
- How To Plan An Eco-Friendly Wedding - May 23, 2023
+ show Comments
- Hide Comments