I love tea. To be completely transparent, I drink about three pots of tea every day – one in the morning, one in the afternoon (generally while my son and I sit to have our snack time), and one in the evening as I unwind after a long day. Excessive? Maybe. But, my obsession with tea not only helps to keep me hydrated (drinking plain water all day long can get a bit boring), it’s also become part of my daily mindfulness ritual. You can read more about my evening tea ritual here.
Because I drink so much tea I’ve really made it a point to support organic and fair trade tea brands. From brands that provide fair-wages and safe working conditions for farmers to retailers and brands that prioritize eco-friendly packaging.
Interesting fact: Did you know that one single plastic tea bag has been found to release billions of microparticles and nanoparticles in your tea? A study published by the American Chemical Society shares: “Steeping a single plastic tea bag at brewing temperature (95 °C) releases approximately 11.6 billion microplastics and 3.1 billion nanoplastics into a single cup of the beverage.” Non merci! (No thanks!)
Here’s a list of 10 of my favorite organic and fair trade tea brands to help make your tea-drinking ritual as sustainable, and healthy, as possible.
10 Organic and Fair Trade Tea Brands
When I stopped drinking coffee (although since becoming a mom I do sneak about ½ cup in each morning #rebel), I replaced my afternoon coffee sips with teeccino herbal coffees. I love teeccino teas not only for all the various flavors – ranging from French Roast Chicory to Chaga Ashwagandha Butterscotch Cream Mushroom Herbal Coffee – but for their commitment to supporting small-scale family farmers and preserving the rainforest.
- Teecino created a new trade for unique herbal ingredients, such as the ramon seed, an ancient seed used by the Mayans, that protects rainforests and wild terrain.
- Works with small‑scale family farmers in India to grow chicory root organically.
- The company increased the income-earning opportunities in rural communities.
- Donations made each month to a variety of non-profit organizations via their You Save, We Give Campaign.
Price: $6.99 – $18.99 depending on products
Flavors: More than 35 herbal tea blends including Dandelion Coconut Herbal tea, French Vanilla Roasted Herbal Tea, Maca Chocolate Chicory Herbal Coffee, Macadamia Nut Prebiotic
2. Palais des Thés
One of my favorite sustainable French Tea Brands is Palais des Thés. Their teas are just so beautiful and so delightfully flavorful and soothing. These teas are the ones I reserve for my evening routine as their floral aesthetics always elevate my mood at the end of a long day.
- Free of child labor, Fair Wages, Direct Sourcing from Producers, Respect of Health and Safety Standards
- Safe Tea certified (free of harmful pesticides)
- While not all teas are labeled organic, all teas are grown on farms that practice organic farming methods. Unfortunately, due to financial constraints, many farmers are unable to invest in organic labeling.
Price: $14.50- $21.00
Flavors: More than 200 blends to choose from including Tahitian Rooibos, (Caffeine Free), Organic Childhood, Garden, Blue of London (caffeine), Paris For Him (caffeine)
3. Arbor Teas
Looking for a zero-waste tea alternative? Arbor Teas may be the perfect brand for you! Not only are their teas fair-trade and organic but all their teas are packaged in compostable backyard-friendly packaging. So, when you’ve finished savoring your warm cup of tea, you can compost both your tea leaves and packaging!
- Fair-Trade, USDA Certified Organic, Compostable Packaging
- Offers one of the widest selections of Fair Trade Certified® loose leaf teas.
- Uses energy-efficient travel methods to transport teas both domestically and overseas.
- Teamed up with Carbon Fund to offset carbon emissions.
Price: Prices vary from $3.50 for an 8 servings sample pack to $40.00 for 15 oz. (188 servings!).
Flavors: More than 40 flavors including Organic Mango Black Tea, Organic Thai Iced Teas, Organic Cherry Sencha Green Tea, Organic Chocolate Pu Erh Tea.
4. Traditional Medicinals
Traditional Medicinal is my go-to brand for medicinal herbal fair trade tea. Some of my favorite blends include their Chamomile Lavender, Dandelion Leaf & Root, and Healthy Cycle (Raspberry Leaf Tea). And, whenever I am trying to get over a sore throat I always reach for their Throat Coat Lemon Echinacea Tea. These high-quality medicinal herbal teas are soothing, flavorful, and leading the way in social and environmental change one tea cup at a time.
- Organic, FairWild, Fair Trade, B-Corps Certified
- Free of pesticides and herbicides,
- Ethically sourced herbs
- First company to feature the Giant Panda Friendly-certified products
- Focused on social justice. Traditional Medicinal Foundation supports community-led initiatives in their sourcing communities around the world addressing issues of food and water security, healthcare, education, and women’s empowerment.
Price: $5.99 for 1 box (16 tea bags)
Flavors: 60+ tea flavors including Eucalyptus Mint, Darjeeling, Fennel, and Green Tea
5. Equal Exchange
Sourcing its teas from over 40 small farmer organizations around the world you can rest assured that all of Equal Exchange Teas, which include black, green, and herbal, are certified fair-trade and organic. Founded in 1986, Equal Exchange’s mission is to build long-term trade partnerships that are economically just and environmentally sound. And, if you’re passionate about making our world a better place consider joining Equal Exchange’s Citizen-Consumers. In these virtual and in-person monthly member meetings you’ll get the chance to explore and dig deeper into topics such as food politics, agriculture and trade, climate justice, and economic, social and political rights.
- Co-Op Owned
- Certified Organic, Fair Trade Tea, Small Farmer Grown
- Socially and environmentally focused
Price: $3.30 per single box (20 bags); $19.80 for 6 boxes (20 bags per box); $14 – $25 for 250 g loose leaf tea, depending on flavor.
Flavors: 20+ flavors ranging from Rooibos Tea to Assam Black Tea.
6. Art of Tea
Founded in 1996 by Master Tea Blender and Herbalist Steve Schwartz, Art of Tea offers more than 100 beautifully crafted loose leaf teas. If loose leaf isn’t something you’re comfortable with, they also offer more than 20 different teas packaged in 100% commercially compostable pyramid tea bags. Note: Their tea bag sachets are 100% plastic-free created from Soilon, a plant and vegetable-based material that is commercially compostable. All of Art of Teas teas are sustainably sourced and hand selected from growers around the world.
- Organic and Fair Trade
- Sustainably-sourced, hand selected and seasonally harvested teas
- Eco-friendly packaging
Price: $24.00+ depending on flavor & packaging
Flavors: 80+ flavors to choose from including Oolong, White Peach Tea, Rose Black, and Matcha Cocoa
Pukka teas are Fair Trade, Organic, and on a mission to create a business that benefits the health of people, plants and the planet. I love Pukka teas – not only are they delicious but they’re truly mission driven. In the United States, Pukka has partnered with Soul Fire Farm in 1% for the Planet. Not to mention that as of November 2022, Pukka has planted over 1.2 million trees around the world with the help of the tree-planting charity, Tree Sisters. And, if that’s not enough, all of Pukka’s teas are sustainably packaged in 100% plastic-free home compostable tea bags and recyclable cardboard boxes.
- Certified B-Corp, Organic Soil Association, Certified Organic, Carbon Neutral, 1% of the Planet, and Fair for Life Certified
- Eco-friendly packaging
Price: $4.99 per box (20 sachets)
Flavors: 20+ flavors including Tulsi Clarity, Revitalise, Lemongrass & Ginger
8. Organic India
Organic India is the only brand on this list, as far as I can tell, that is allied with the Regenerative Organic Alliance – a progressive organization setting the highest standards in pursuit of soil health, animal welfare, economic stability and fairness for workers around the world. Another unique feature of Organic India’s teas is that Tulsi, aka Holy Basil, is the foundation upon which all their teas and infusions are formulated. In addition, Organic India has partnered with more than 3,000 small, family-owned farms across India providing economic and cultural revitalization as well as community healthcare, education, and inclusive social change for women. There’s a cup of tea you can feel good about drinking!
- Allies of the Regenerative Organic Alliance
- B Corporation Certified
- All products are produced in their LEED Platinum certified production facility in India
- Eco-friendly packaging, Fair-Trade and Organic
Price: $17.99 for a 16 oz pouch, $5.69 per box (18 bags)
Flavors: 30+ herbal teas and infusions including flavors such as Tulsi Turmeric Ginger, Tulsi Masala Chai, and Tulsi Hibiscus
9. Mountain Rose Herbs
Although most famously known for their organic herbs, spices, and essential oils Mountain Rose Herbs also sells beautiful and delicious organic teas. Each of their unique teas are blended by their artisan experts to support overall health and wellbeing.
- Eco-Friendly Packaging,
- Zero Waste Facility Certification,
- USDA Certified Organic
Price: $6.00 -$21.00 depending on size and packaging
Flavors: Blossoms of Health, Evening Repose Tea, Ceylon Tea, and more!
10. Les Fleurs Du Bonheur: Coming soon from The Wise Consumer!
- How becoming a mother taught me to embrace slow living - June 5, 2023
- Cycle Syncing Foods: How to support each phase of your menstrual cycle through nutrition - May 30, 2023
- How To Plan An Eco-Friendly Wedding - May 23, 2023
+ show Comments
- Hide Comments