Here’s a question for you — How often do you stop to think about your brain? I mean really stop to think about it!? I know over the years I’ve, unfortunately, taken my brain for granted. Rarely, do I ever think about how amazing this 3lb organ actually is or how much I depend on it.
LISTEN ON: APPLE PODCASTS | SPOTIFY | AMAZON MUSIC
Here’s a question for you: How often do you stop to think about your brain? I mean really stop to think about it!? I know over the years I’ve, unfortunately, taken my brain for granted. Rarely, do I ever really think about how amazing this 3lb organ actually is or how much I depend on it on a daily basis. But, your brain controls everything — your thoughts, memories, emotions, touch, motor skills, vision, breathing, temperature, hunger…basically, every process that regulates your body and helps to keep you alive!
Now, I know on the podcast we often chat about how nutrition can support hormone health and our overall health but today I want to shift gears a bit and explore how what we eat can also affect and improve our brain health.
If you’re curious about how best to nourish, fuel, and support your brain or want to better understand why it really matters then you’re absolutely going to love this conversation with Dr. Annie Fenn, founder of The Brain Health Kitchen.
Dr. Annie Fenn’s Journey To Launching the Brain Health Kitchen
Prior to launching the Brain Health Kitchen in 2015, Annie spent 20 years as a board-certified obstetrician/gynecologist who specialized in menopausal health (she also delivered more than 1000 babies which I think is truly remarkable). Yet, as you’ll hear, Annie is also a passionate cook and a firm believer that helping people change what they eat and how they live can be just as effective a health-giving intervention as prescribing pills or procedures. So, Annie decided to “retire” and to trade in her stethoscope for an apron and went back to school to study culinary arts in Mexico, Italy, and at the Culinary Institute of America.
In 2017 she founded The Brain Health Kitchen Cooking School, the only cooking school of its kind that focuses specifically on fending off Alzheimer’s and other dementias by teaching students about which foods are most neuroprotective, which ones accelerate cognitive decline, and how to prepare foods using brain-friendly cooking techniques.
Her mission? To help you take better care of your brain all whilst eating delicious food.
In this conversation Annie and I explore:
- why brain health matters
- the importance and benefits of sleep and exercise for your brain
- how what we eat can help protect and delay our brains from developing Alzheimers
- which foods are most neuroprotective and why
- the pros and cons of drinking alcohol
- brain-friendly cooking techniques, and
- why it’s never too early to start making lifestyle and nutrition changes to support our brains.
It was such an honor and pleasure chatting with Annie and I am really eager for you to tune in as this is a conversation that you’ll not only enjoy but one that you and your brain will absolutely benefit from.
Connect with The Brain Health Kitchen:
Other Episodes You Might Enjoy:
- How Alcohol Impacts your Hormones
- 4 Big Reasons Food Advocate & Author of Kid Food, Bettina Siegel, Believes it’s Challenging to Feed Our Kids Healthier, Unprocessed Foods
- 5 Simple Ways to Reduce Food Waste and Live More Sustainably - October 20, 2021
- 10+ Ethical and Sustainable Wedding Dress Brands - October 18, 2021
- Brain Health 101: How Nutrition and Lifestyle Can Improve Brain Health - October 6, 2021