Profile: Benjamin Kander,
Buy a Bottle, Build a Well
1. City of residence: Brooklyn, NY (Moving to hometown of Pittsburgh, PA in a few months and bringing business.)
2. Place of birth: New York, NY
3. In under five sentences, define your business: Welly is a business founded in the values of quality, resourcefulness, wellness and social responsibility. We produce products that help people live healthy and adventurous lifestyles while also helping reduce the usage of single-use disposable bottles. Beyond our customers, we aim to give clean water to the 630 million people who currently don’t have it – this is our true mission.
4. What social or environmental impact is your business making? We aim to use a renewable resource in all of our products. We have started with bamboo because it grows about 5 times as fast as trees and you can sustainably farm it without impacting our environment. With every bottle sold Welly donates $1 to charity: water, who transforms all of those dollars into sustainable clean water solutions in developing countries.
5. Out of all the products you produce, which is your favorite? Why? Our 12oz bottle with our new insulated flip cap, which just launched! It keeps my coffee warm in the morning and allows the perfect flow to make sure I don’t drink too much at once. I no longer use single-use disposable coffee cups and save money whenever I buy coffee as most shops offer a discount because of my Welly!
6. What book(s) are you currently reading? I just finished “Essentialism” by Greg McKeown and am now onto “Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo” from Maslow. Both are amazing.
7. Quote you (try to) live by? “The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.” -Michelangelo
8. Using one word, how would you describe yourself? Wonder
9. What is one random fact that most people don’t know about you? I’ll give 3: 1. I almost chopped off my foot 2 summers ago with a hatchet while camping 2. My dream is to play on the PGA Tour. We’ll see what happens with Welly for now. 3. I’m a father-to-be!
“My mom played a huge role in my life. she passed away when i was 22. I get choked up talking about it. She was the light in the room. She was a connector, more than anything she loved to connect people … everyone wanted to be around her.”