I’m the girlfriend you text when you’re scratching your head reading labels in the grocery store, the confidante you blurt your “I can’t tell anyone else!” bathroom shenanigans to and the handy science nerd who comes through with the best cost-cutting, time-saving health tips you don’t know how you ever lived without.
“I believe knowledge is definitely power when it comes to the skincare industry. I feel that the more you know about the industry, the more aware you are as to what ingredients are being used in each product, the better off you’ll be.”
Q & A with Ashlee Assadi:
1. City of residence: Minneapolis, MN
2. Place of birth: Washburn, WI
3. In under five sentences, define your business: Santosha Co. is a sustainable foraged skincare line from Northern, WI. We wild harvest a majority of our ingredients and manufacture everything in house.
4. What social or environmental impact is your business making? When we say we “sustainably forage” and “wild harvest” that means we take great care in making sure we aren’t harming the plant or trees we are gathering from to make it as sustainable as possible. We also have a DNR agent on staff to ensure we are gathering plant material and maintaining the integrity of the plants.
5. What is the best part about the work you’re doing? Why? The best part is I feel like I’m watching my life come together like a beautiful tapestry. I’ve always questioned why I learned so many trades, from hair and makeup to running multiple spas to becoming a certified yoga instructor. I am watching everything I love to do come together.
6. Out of all the products you produce, which is your favorite? Why? Calendula + Balm of Gilead Healing Facial Oil. I literally use it for everything. Hair, body, blemishes, makeup primer, my babies. It’s my go-to product for everything.
7. What book(s) are you currently reading? Brene Brown: Braving the Wilderness, Anne Voskamp: One Thousand Gifts and the bible.
8. Quote you (try to) live by?
“And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.” 1 Corinthians 13:13
9. Using one word, how would you describe yourself? Creative.
10. What is one random fact that most people don’t know about you? If I wouldn’t have gone to school at the Aveda Institute for Cosmetology and Esthiology, I would have gone to art school.
Madeleine is a Franco-American podcaster and blogger on a mission to inspire and empower women to live healthier, more eco-friendly, and conscious lifestyles. On her blog/podcast, The Wise Consumer, she covers topics ranging from nutrition and recipes to ethical fashion and eco living tips. When not working Madeleine is either spending time with family, developing new recipes, or trail running.