Girl Next Door Honey, Founder
Hilary Kearney, Founder of Girl Next Door Honey, on the importance of bee’s, Colony Collapse Disorder, how she got into the business of beekeeping, and her love/hate relationship with technology
“We have trained bee’s to do a lot of crazy things. They’ve been trained to do addition and subtraction and to recognize different artists. For example, they trained bee’s to identify Aboriginal art from Picasso! They’ve also trained them to smell bombs and…to smell cancer.
LISTEN ON: APPLE PODCASTS | SPOTIFY
Q & A with Hilary Kearney:
1. City of residence: San Diego, CA
2. Place of birth: San Pedro, CA
3. In under five sentences, define your business: Girl Next Door Honey is a beekeeping business that offers educational opportunities to new beekeepers and the community at large. Our goal is to provide memorable and fun learning experiences for people who want to help bees.
4. What social or environmental impact is your business making? I believe it’s changing the way people think about bees and pollinators and inspiring them to take positive action to help them.
5. What is the best part about the work you’re doing? Why? I think the best part is getting feedback from people who have somehow been influenced or transformed by my work. They tell me about how they used to be scared of bees and now they respect them. They tell me about how they talked their relative into calling a beekeeper to save a swarm instead of calling an exterminator.
6. What are three tips you can share to help us all save honeybees?
1)Plant flowering trees. Trees are the biggest providers of pollen and nectar and they will be a food source that last for years.
2) Stop using pesticides, avoid buying plants that have been pre-treated with pesticides and plant from seeds.
3) Buy organic and support sustainable farming practices with your wallet.
7. What book(s) are you currently reading? Honestly, I don’t have time to read books. I listen to audio books, though! I just finished listening to The Neapolitan Novels by Elena Ferrante.
8. Quote you (try to) live by? “Present moment, wonderful moment.”
9. Using one word, how would you describe yourself? Creative
10. What is one random fact that most people don’t know about you? I love horror movies.
- How becoming a mother taught me to embrace slow living - June 5, 2023
- Cycle Syncing Foods: How to support each phase of your menstrual cycle through nutrition - May 30, 2023
- How To Plan An Eco-Friendly Wedding - May 23, 2023
+ show Comments
- Hide Comments