1. City of residence: Newtown, PA.
2. Place of birth: Safi, Morocco
3. In under five sentences, define your business:
Dounia Home seeks to capture a slice of Morocco to share with the world. As a company committed to aesthetic authenticity, we focus on designing, developing, and making all our products in the heart of Morocco.
We use high-quality materials and workmanship techniques native to the region that have been passed down through generations of master artisans.
4. What social or environmental impact is your business making?
We are very proud of the work we are able to do on the social level. We are working with small groups of artisans who take great pride in preserving the craft. We involve them in the creative process and encourage them to problem solve while pushing the envelope of metalworking. This environment allows them to grow, learn new skills and take on managerial positions. Because we work directly with the artisans we are able to provide them with fair pay as well as reasonable working hours.
We have also been involving the spouses who offer other skill sets; such as sewing, who have been making our canvas bags.
From an environmental stand point, we chose to work with semi-precious metals such as brass and copper, because they natural, durable and available in Morocco.
5. What is the best part about the work you’re doing? Why?
I find a great deal of fulfillment in being able to create beautiful products while positively impacting the artisan community behind them.
It has always been important to me to do good in this world, and Dounia Home allows me to do what I love which is design, while helping others along the way.
6. Out of all the products you produce, which is your favorite? Why?
I love our Almas Pendant light, it is the first design I created and our best seller. Its beautiful geometry is inspired by the Moroccan zellige tilework.
7. What book(s) are you currently reading?
A curious mind
8. Quote you (try to) live by?
“Whether you think you can, or think you can’t, you’re right.” Henry Ford.
9. Using one word, how would you describe yourself?
10. What is one random fact that most people don’t know about you?
I can write backwards.