The challenges this entrepreneur overcame to launch ATHR Beauty
By: Madeleine Wisecup
From harmful ingredients in cosmetics to launching a clean & zero-waste beauty brand with Tiila Abbitt, founder of Āether Beauty
Meet Tiila Abbitt, the founder of Āether Beauty, a zero-waste, vegan, cruelty free, non-toxic, and ethically created makeup brand! From the harmful ingredients found in most commercial cosmetic products to the challenges of running a clean and responsibly sourced makeup brand, Tiila and I cover it all!
LISTEN ON: APPLE PODCASTS | SPOTIFY | AMAZON MUSIC
Meet Tiila Abbitt, the founder of ATHR Beauty, a low-waste, vegan, cruelty free, non-toxic, and ethically created makeup brand! From the harmful ingredients found in most commercial cosmetic products to the challenges of running a “clean” and responsibly sourced makeup brand, Tiila and I cover so much in this episode!
In this episode we chat about all things ATHR Beauty, including:
- The journey that Tiila to launching ATHR Beauty, a sustainable and non-toxic makeup brand.
- Her passion for color/color forecasting + how she creates her products (this was super interesting!)
- Greenwashing in the beauty industry and the list of harmful ingredients used throughout the industry.
- The challenges around defining the term “clean beauty”
- The problems with the recycling industry.
- The heartbreaking reality of child labor used in mica mines.
- Why not all synthetic ingredients are harmful, i.e. just because it’s natural doesn’t mean it’s better for you.
- How she’s overcome entrepreneurial challenges
This was such a wonderful, insightful, and inspiring conversation! Happy listening.
Get to know the founder of ATHR Beauty a bit more!
- City of residence: San Francisco, CA
- Place of birth: New Jersey
- In under five sentences, define your business: A fully ethical + sustainable makeup brand- without compromise. Vegan, Cruelty-free and clean- as a baseline. ATHR Beauty also makes sure each ingredient is child labor free, made with fair wage labor, and completely sustainable packaging.
- What is the best part of the work you’re doing? Why? Being a trail blazer is not always the easiest routes to take but when I launched the brand, no one was talking about sustainability in beauty. I’m so happy to see the change in the beauty industry!
- Out of all the products you produce, which is your favorite? Why? I love all my children equally but if I had to be one, it would be the Supernova Crushed Diamond Highlighters, a new innovative formula that uses real ethically sourced diamonds instead of mica to create pure sparkle and bonus: if you add the highlighter and mix it with a little body oil, it creates an amazing shimmer body glow!
- If you could share just one piece of wisdom with the world, what would it be? Vote with your dollar. Just take a little bit of extra time with your next purchase, understanding the ingredients, including the packaging.
- Quote you (try to) live by? There’s enough sand in the sandbox for everyone. Basically, there’s no reason to be competitive — it’s better to be collaborative and help lift each other up.
- Using one word, how would you describe yourself? Resilient
- What is one random fact that most people don’t know about you? I’m the only employee for the entire brand.
Other Podcast Episodes You Might Enjoy: