When I think of childhood, I think of my great-grandmother’s french chocolate cake — le gâteau au chocolat de Mamie. Every year for my birthday my mom would ask me what kind of cake I wanted and every year, without fail, I asked for this specific cake. Its rich chocolate flavor never disappoints. To this day, no birthday seems complete without it. I truly hope you and yours enjoy and cherish this recipe as much as my family and I have over the years.
- 5 oz dark bittersweet fair-trade chocolate (70%-85%) (I recommend using fair-trade chocolate whenever possible.)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler. Note: If you don’t have a double boiler simply use 1 large saucepan and 1 medium sized glass or metal heat resistant bowl.
- Separate egg whites from egg yolks. To separate eggs you need 2 mixing bowls — one for egg yolks and one for egg whites.
- In the bowl containing egg yolks, add sugar. Mix sugar and egg yolks until fully mixed.
- Add flour and continue mixing until sugar, eggs, and flour are thoroughly combined.
- Gently stir in the melted chocolate mixture. Stir until fully mixed. Set aside.
- Whisk your egg whites into stiff peaks. Note: You can use a hand-held whisk (balloon or French whisk) but this takes longer and requires more elbow grease. So, if you’re short on time, I recommend using an electric mixer.
- Gently fold whisked egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Repeat until egg whites are completely incorporated and you can no longer see any white streaks. You may need to fold eggs a few times before they’re completely incorporated.
- Pour chocolate mixture into a 9” glass baking pan and bake in the oven for about 25 min. To test if cake is done, insert knife into the center of cake; knife should come out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
This cake is great on its own, lightly coated with powdered sugar, or served with vanilla ice cream and fresh berries.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: French
- Calories: 379
- Sugar: 729
- Sodium: 37
- Fat: 22
- Carbohydrates: 45
- Protein: 6
Keywords: cake, chocolate, french recipe