I came across SkinnyM’s “Protein Black Bean and Lentil Soup,” a few days ago and figured this would be a great alternative to my regular Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili. And y’all, I was right! This plant-based recipe is deeelicious and so so easy to make (takes less than 20 min). I made some slight variations to SkinnyM’s recipe, which I included below, but if you’re looking for something super nutritious, quick, and healthy look no further.
What you’ll need + how to make this amazing plant-based recipe!
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 2-3 carrots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup French Lentils, dried
- 1 red onion
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can tomatoes
- 5 – 6 leaves of Swiss chard
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1-2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Kosher or sea salt
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1 tsp cumin
Chop the garlic, celery, carrots and the onion. Place aside until needed.
- Add olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Once oil is warm, add the chopped garlic and saute for about a minute (you want them to get tender, not crispy).
- Add the chopped onion, carrots, and celery saute until tender (about 5 min). Then add the remaining ingredients and bring to a slow boil. (Note: my husband and I love spicy foods so I doubled the required amount of chili powder and pepper flakes).
- Once everything is boiling reduce the heat and let stew simmer for about 25 min.
- Finally, add the Swiss chard to the mixture and cook stew for another 5 min, long enough to wilt and leaves and to ensure lentils are tender.
That’s it! Seriously, how easy is that!? I have to thank SkinnyM’s for this recipe, truly one of our favorite winter stews. Bonne appétit! Let me know what you think once you’ve given this recipe a go!
- How To Improve Indoor Air Quality & Live a Healthier, Less Toxic Life - January 27, 2021
- Happy Hour 101: How Alcohol Impacts your Hormones - January 25, 2021
- Rebundle: 3 Things You Need To Know About Hair Extensions! - January 20, 2021