Chickpea Quinoa Carrot Top Salad
Do you eat carrot greens? If not, you should! These greens are delicious and packed with nutrients such as vitamin A, dietary fiber, vitamin C, calcium, vitamin K, iron, and various phenolic compounds and carotenoids, along with trace amounts of other 1 In fact, carrot tops actually contain about six times more vitamin C than the root. (Read more about the health benefits of carrot greens here.)
You can eat these greens so many different ways but one of my favorite ways is cutting them up and adding them to salads. Super easy way to add a bit of extra flavor, fiber, and texture to your meals. (Note: I highly recommend buying/eating organic carrot tops so as to help reduce your exposure to harmful pesticides.)
Make this plant-based recipe!
What you’ll need —
– 4 Carrots (sliced)
– 1 Bunch of carrot greens (coarsely chopped)
– 4-5 Radishes (sliced) (you can save the radish greens to make pesto or add them to the salad!)
– 2-3 tomatoes
– 1 cucumber
– 1 cup of cooked quinoa (cook according to package instructions)
– 1 can of chickpeas
– 1 lemon (juice)
– 2 Tablespoons of cold-pressed olive oil
– 1 garlic clove (finely chopped)
– Chili flakes
– Pink Himalayan salt
- Cook the quinoa following the package instructions.
- While quinoa is cooking, wash, slice, dice, and cut the carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, and radishes to your liking. Place them in a bowl along with your strained and rinsed chickpeas.
- Once quinoa has finished cooking set it aside and let it cool.
- Once cooled, add quinoa to your veggie bowl and mix ingredients together thoroughly.
- Dressing: In a separate bowl mix the chopped garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil. Stir. Add salt, pepper, and chili flakes to your liking.
- Add lemon dressing to quinoa salad and…Voilà!
Other recipes you might enjoy:
– Spicy Homemade Pickles